New York City’s medical examiner’s office ruled Wednesday that Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam’s drowning in April was a suicide, the New York Daily News reports.
The body of Abdus-Salaam, the first African-American woman to serve on New York’s highest court, was found dead in the Hudson River on April 12. Finding no signs of criminality, the police closed the investigation on May 3.
According to the New York Times, investigators at first thought her death was “suspicious.” However, they began to lean toward suicide after viewing surveillance video that showed Abdus-Salaam, 65, walking around for hours in Riverbank State Park, about a half-mile north of where her body was found.
Abdus-Salaam’s husband, the Rev. Gregory Jacobs, had rejected any notion of suicide, saying anyone who knew his wife well would dismiss that claim, though the judge was believed to suffer from depression, the Daily News said.
The judge was one of seven children in a poor family. She grew up in the District of Columbia, and earned a law degree from Columbia University, where she was a classmate of former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder. Abdus-Salaam began her career as a public defender in Brooklyn, and later became an assistant attorney general in the Civil Rights Bureau of the New York State attorney’s office.
Holder attended her swearing-in ceremony in 2013 as an associated judge on the New York Court of Appeals, the state’s highest bench.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
New York Medical Examiner Rules That Black Judge Committed Suicide was originally published on newsone.comfeed