Despite the possibility of legal action, Essex County College in Newark, New Jersey defends its termination of a Black professor who sparked controversy for her racial comments on Fox News, the New York Daily News reports.
The adjunct communications professor, Lisa Durden, appeared June 6 on Fox’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight.” She defended a Black Lives Matter group’s decision to host a Blacks-only Memorial Day celebration.
Durden told Tucker Carlson that “ You White people are angry because you couldn’t use your White privilege card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter’s all-black Memorial Day Celebration.” She added that Whites have a long history of excluding African-Americans, for example, from TV shows and the Academy Awards.
Durden did not link herself to the college during the interview. Nevertheless, Essex County College president, Anthony Munroe, said the school issued a paid six-day suspension to Durden and later fired her, NJ.com reported.
In a statement on Friday, Munroe said the community college received an avalanche of complaints from the school’s community, prospective students and their parents.
“I fully believe that institutions of higher learning must provide a safe space for students… The character of this institution mandates that we embrace diversity, inclusion, and unity. Racism cannot be fought with more racism,” he stated, according to NJ.com.
Durden’s attorney, Leslie Farber, told The Daily News that she and her client are considering legal action. Farber said the college violated Durden’s constitutional free speech rights, as well as New Jersey public policy.
The professor told NJ.com that she’s received support from staff members and students. Durden expected the administration to back her because the school is a “Black and Brown college,” located in a “Black and Brown city.”
She added: “It should be a safe place for me. I thought when I came home from war, I would be safe.”
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
College Stands By Firing Of Black Professor Who Defended BLM On Fox was originally published on newsone.comfeed