Open enrollment is still underway for the Affordable Care Act––even as Republicans prepare to dismantle it.
Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell spoke with Roland Martin during Friday’s edition of NewsOne Now about the open enrollment period and the threat Republicans pose against Obamacare.
When asked about the political choices of those who live in red states and are now afraid that the Republican-led Congress has an opportunity to repeal the Affordable Care Act, Burwell said, “We have to move from rhetoric to reality.
“There have been about 60 repeal votes in the United States Congress of the Affordable Care Act and what we know about those votes is they didn’t have consequences because the President’s veto pen was there,” Burwell said.
“Now we’re talking about real consequences and real people’s lives.”
Republicans have campaigned for years that President Barack Obama’s signature piece of legislation should be repealed as a result of the bill’s shortcomings.
Burwell said, “Does it need to be improved? Yes, but the coverage you have could go away.”
Watch Roland Martin and Sec. Sylvia Mathews Burwell discuss open enrollment and the threat the GOP poses to the Affordable Care Act in the video above.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Open Enrollment Continues As Republicans Threaten The Future Of Obamacare was originally published on newsone.comfeed