In the wake of Freddie Gray, Jr.’s controversial death in a police van, Baltimore City erupted in protests, some of which turned violent. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was on the frontlines during the unrest and she was criticized for her leadership in handling the situation. Since charges have been filed against six cops in the Gray case, tensions have eased and Prince even came to town, but things are still uneasy in the city.
On where the city is right now:
“We’ve had a rough couple of weeks. But I think what people have seen about Baltimore is that we’re resilient, we have the spirit to rebuild and you see that everywhere you go. We’re rebuilding on many fronts. People are asking what can they help and what can they do and I just ask that people stay with us for the long haul. A lot of the issues we face aren’t just unique to Baltimore. A lot of the issues that we face aren’t unique to Baltimore. They are issues that it’s going to take time to correct and I hope the well-wishers and people that want to be a part of the solution understand that. Most of those businesses that were impacted are back open. We’re working with businesses that are underinsured or uninsured. A lot of them are mom and pops that are just making it like most of us are. We’ve had a lot of help from the business committee. In one night the business community raised over 200,00o to help businesses recover. A lot of the stores have claimed they are going to rebuild – the CVS and the Rite Aid.
On summer programs and jobs programs going forward:
Baltimore, I’m very proud, we have a very robust summer jobs program even more than cities twice our size. I’m very pleased at the outpouring of support that we’ve had since the unrest, we’ve had even more businesses that have stepped up to fill that gap. Even when the federal government pulled their money back, from summer jobs, we made sure, I made sure that that money was there. We had about 2,000-3,000 kids still needing slots and we’ve had the business community and foundations step in and say they would fill that gap. We’ve announced a bunch of free programs for the summer. We have free summer camps at 39 different locations that include free meals, so the enrichment camps, we have Baltimore night hoops and free memberships at Upton boxing for kids under 18. You can get information on all the free programs through Baltimore City’s official website HERE.
On what she would’ve done differently:
“Earthquakes, tornados, I’ve dealt with it all. No matter how good you are they is always room for improvement and we’re looking at those operations now. In the heat of the moment, you don’t get to make those decisions in hindsight you have to make those decisions on the fly often with incomplete information. …When you have a series of choices, and none of them are good you make the best out of those uncomfortable decisions you have to make in order to restore peace. It was an unpleasant time of unrest and sadness and tension.
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Images From Baltimore: #FreddieGray
1. Images From Baltimore: #FreddieGray1 of 30
2. Images From Baltimore: #FreddieGray2 of 30
3. Images From Baltimore: #FreddieGray3 of 30
4. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray4 of 30
5. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray5 of 30
6. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray6 of 30
7. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray7 of 30
8. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray8 of 30
9. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray9 of 30
10. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray10 of 30
11. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray11 of 30
12. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray12 of 30
13. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray13 of 30
14. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray14 of 30
15. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray15 of 30
16. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray16 of 30
17. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray17 of 30
18. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray18 of 30
19. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray19 of 30
20. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray20 of 30
21. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray21 of 30
22. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray22 of 30
23. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray23 of 30
24. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray24 of 30
25. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray25 of 30
26. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray26 of 30
27. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray27 of 30
28. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray28 of 30
29. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray29 of 30
30. Images From Baltimore: #JusticeForFreddieGray30 of 30
Stephanie Rawlings-Blake On Rebuilding City, Summer Jobs Program, Doing Things Differently was originally published on blackamericaweb.comfeed