Jose Ramos was caring for the victim and her 7-year-old sister last Friday afternoon at his Paterson home, Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes said. The children’s mother had left the pair with Ramos while she ran errands, authorities said.
Ramos is accused of assaulting the victim in a bedroom in his home.
A preliminary medical evaluation at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center diagnosed the child with sexual abuse and abdominal trauma, Valdes said. Authorities arrested Ramos the next day, executed a search warrant, and seized evidence from his home, the prosecutor said.
Ramos was charged with first-degree aggravated sexual assault, second-degree sexual assault, second-degree endangering the welfare of a child and another count of four-degree child abuse and neglect, Valdes said. The aggravated sexual assault charge could mean a maximum sentence of 20 years in state prison, and the other charges could add up to a maximum of more than 20 years, she added.
Ramos was arraigned Wednesday, and remains in Passaic County Jail on $200,000 bail, authorities said.
Like The Buzz 1230 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- Recent Updates
- One Arrested after Over the Rhine Shooting
- Ready for the Next Big Kings Island Ride?
- Arlington Heights Election Tie Proves Why Your Vote MATTERS!
- Missouri School Transfer Ruling Re-Opens Race Conversation
- African-American Explorer Matthew Henson Was Born On This Day In 1866
- Transgender B. Scott Sues BET For Gender Identity Discrimination
- 14-Year-Old Pervert Arrested For Sexually Assaulting 4-Year-Old At McDonald’s!!