During a recent appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show,” basketball legend Patrick Ewing (pictured) revealed he didn’t go to the University Of North Carolina because of a Klan rally that was taking place in the area during the recruiting trip.
“You know, I was close [to attending UNC]. I was close. North Carolina was a very good school but, you know, when I went down there they put me in that Carolina Inn and there was a big Ku Klux Klan rally in North Carolina when I was there. And I’m like, ‘You know what? I’m not coming down here. I’m staying my butt back in Boston.’”
When pressed further by Patrick about the rally, Ewing revealed how scared he truly was.
“Big rally man. I was like… They stuck me in that Carolina Inn. And at night down in North Carolina it gets pitch black and I hear all the crickets and I’m jumping, I’m like ‘what the heck?’ I said, ‘Nah, I’m going home.’”
Ewing instead opted to play ball at Georgetown, his first choice. Even former UNC head coach Dean Smith advised him to choose Georgetown if he didn’t prefer being a Tar Heel. Had Ewing chosen UNC, he and Jordan would have been teammates.
Co-incidentally, Ewing is back in North Carolina. He was recently named head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, owned by his good friend Michael Jordan.
Listen to the interview here:
Ewing’s son, however, wasn’t happy it took his dad so long to get a coaching job–especially after how quickly Jason Kidd was hired as the Brooklyn Nets’ head coach:
“For real though I’m mad J Kidd got a head coaching job a year after retiring n my pops been coaching 10 years n barely gets a look,” Patrick Ewing Jr. Tweeted.
But the young Ewing should Twitter rant no more; pops has a job now. In North Carolina, of all places. Jordan and Ewing will be teaming up after all.
Like The Buzz 1230 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- NHN: Why Watching Sports With Men Is Better [Video]
- 23 Potential Jurors To Return Next Week In Zimmerman Case
- City to Court: Don’t Delay the Parking Lease
- Suspect Arrested in Winton Place Double Murder
- Power Back On For Tri-State After Thursday Storms
- R.I.P: Teenager Dies In Tragic Car Accident As His Mom Sits In The Audience At High School Graduation Waiting For Him To Walk Across The Stage
- Michael Patterson: Uninsured Georgia Dad Paralyzed Saving Drowning Girl [VIDEO]